Optimize Your Use of Nitrogen - COMING THIS FALL!
Learn how to maximize nitrogen efficiency on your farm while increasing farm profits
Through this course, you will gain the knowledge you need to use nitrogen more efficiently on your farm. By optimizing your nitrogen use, you can reduce your use of fertilizers and increase your profits.
By completing this course, you will leave with:
- Deeper knowledge and understanding about the agronomic, economic, environmental and social benefits of Improved Nitrogen Management.
- An Advanced Nitrogen Management plan adapted to your region, and the types of amendments that you are currently using.
- Opportunities to consider using and crediting biological sources of nitrogen, like manure, in your Nitrogen Management Plan.
- A network of contacts. During the course, you will meet Mentors and other farmers in your region. You will develop a network of people you can reach out to with questions or follow on social media to find out about upcoming workshops and farm tours.
We can’t wait to launch this stream later this year! If you are interested in signing up for this program, send us an email asking to be added to the waitlist and we will let you know when the fall schedule is available.
Manitoba Organic Alliance is the implementing partner for the advanced nitrogen management stream in Manitoba.
Curriculum developed by
HOW DO I KNOW IF THIS IS THE RIGHT PROGRAM FOR ME?
If any of these statements resonate with you, then we think this is the right program for you!
- I would like to adopt beneficial management practices (BMPs) on my farm, and I am looking to grow my knowledge or get more implementation information.
- I have adopted one or more climate-friendly agricultural practices on my farm with success and would like to adopt another.
- I have adopted a BMP at a small-scale and I am looking to scale-up.
- I have unsuccessfully attempted to adopt a BMP on my farm and I am looking for assistance to make it work.
- I have not yet adopted BMPs on my farm but I am interested in learning more.
Our commitment to equity for FaRM
We believe that our sector, and our work as a coalition, will be stronger with decreased barriers to entry and better opportunities to succeed for equity-deserving farmers. We encourage people who belong to equity-deserving groups to join the Farm Mentorship Program, and have reserved 30% of registrations for equity-deserving farmers.
How much time will I need to commit?
Here is an approximate breakdown of your time commitment for one year:
- 5 hours of class time.
- 2-4 hours of independent learning (i.e. reading material, watching videos, etc. on your own time).
- Optional follow-up support with Farmer Mentors.
- Unlimited access to online learning platform, including community clubs for the year.
Derek (left) and his daughter Kate (right) at Axten Family Farms in Minton, SK
WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT FROM THE PROGRAM?
- A comprehensive and supported Mentorship Program.
- Access to an online course system so you can learn at your own pace.
- Access to Communities of Inquiry, where you can join your peers in meeting spaces that foster learning, knowledge sharing and support.
- Access to Farmer Mentors to guide your learning and provide helpful input.
- A management plan to support your on-farm implementation.
- Useful resources and fact sheets.
Manitoba Organic Alliance is the implementing partner for this program in Manitoba. If you live in a different province and want to take part in this program, visit FCS’s website and scroll to the bottom to see the list of implementing partners in different regions across Canada.