There are so many reasons to eat organic!
- The Canadian Organic Standard requires a high standard of animal care. Livestock get extra space, high quality food and access to sunlight and the outdoors as weather allows. Organic farmers are required to keep their animals healthy without resorting to antibiotics.
- Organics does not use Genetically Modified Organisms.
- Organics does not allow animals to be injected with hormones or insecticides.
- Organics encourages biodiversity, understanding that the natural vegetation around the edges of field are home to the birds and good insects which pollinate crops and keep the pest populations reduced.
- University research has shown that organic fruits tend to be high in antioxidants (those beneficial compounds that help fight cancer).
- Organics does not use chemical pesticides. This keeps the chemicals out of the food and it also out of the air and the water. Research from many sources cite the toxic levels of pesticides in our food and the deleterious long term effects. Children are especially vulnerable. A study in Environmental Health Perspectives found that children who consumed organic fresh fruit and vegetables had lower concentrations of pesticides.
Kids say the darndest things about organics!
Organic Chicken and Pork
Organic Fruits and Vegetables
Is it Organic?
Look for the logo. You can count on the Canada Organic Logo; it guarantees that what you’re buying is certified and backed by the national standard that is regulated by the federal government. The national certification system is important because it ensures organic practices are accountable and builds transparency into our food system. Every year, independent 3rd party inspectors, “the eyes and ears of the consumer”, visit and scrutinize every step of the production.