The Organic Advantage
The organic sector has experienced rapid growth in the past decade. Consumer demand is on the rise with 58% of Canadian consumers purchasing organic food at least once per week. Globally, organic food is in demand and farmers on the prairies are poised to take advantage of this opportunity. It is this demand that can translate into increased profitability for your farm.
There are nearly 5,000 certified organic farms, processors and handlers in Canada.
How do I improve the yields on my organic farm?
- Find info in our Organic Resources section and at Pivot and Grow
- Pivot and Grow is a joint Prairie Organic Grain Initiative which provides up-to-date information for organic farmers
- There is a growing base of research on improved production methods. Check out this video about cutting edge organic research at the University of Manitoba.
- Low Input costs – for every $100 earned per acre, an organic farmer keeps $58 on average.
- Manitoba Agriculture has developed resources to act as a starting point for farm budgets. They can be adapted to your operation using your farm records. We’ve curated a few of their calculators for you here.
- Global access – Through strong equivalency agreements, Canadian organic farmers have access to 96% of the global organic market.
Whether you are looking to sell your organic products, looking for services or businesses or looking to purchase organic grain, get connected to the organic sector through this directory. It lists organic businesses across the prairies and is managed by Organic Alberta. Add your business or farm to the Business to Business Directory here.
Organic farms and processors must be inspected annually to document their compliance to the Canada Organic Standard. This third party inspection builds a high level of accountability and transparency into the organic food system. Every animal, grain bin, load or package of organic food must be backed up and traceable with a valid organic certificate.
If you’re looking for a certifier, check out our Business to Business Directory and select Business Type: Certifier.